Last updated on November 1, 2023  

Tasmania JackJumpers v Brisbane Bullets Round 6 NBL24 Tips

The NBL season is in full swing as the Tasmania JackJumpers face the Brisbane Bullets in a thrilling match this Saturday, November 4, 2023. Both teams are hungry to prove themselves and climb up the ladder, but who has the edge according to the bookies? Let’s take a close look at the strengths and weaknesses of each team, their recent performances and their key players.

TLDR: The JackJumpers have a slight advantage over the Bullets due to their home court and balanced roster. Let’s not write off the Bullets as they have a chance to upset The JackJumpers with their explosive offence and experienced veterans.

Full court press

The game will be a rematch of the encounter in October 2023, when the Bullets edged out the JackJumpers by three points, 90-87. Both teams have very contrasting fortunes. The JackJumpers are coming off a thrilling win over the Sydney Kings, while the Bullets are looking to bounce back from a disappointing loss to the Perth Wildcats.

Both teams have star players who can make a difference on the court but the JackJumpers will be looking for revenge and hoping to use their home court advantage to secure a win.

Why I think the JackJumpers will get up

The JackJumpers have had a mixed opening to their season. They’ve won their last two games and lost the first three of the season, but they’ve shown great team chemistry and resilience. The Bullets, on the other hand, have struggled to find their rhythm and have lost their first three games.

  • The JackJumpers have a balanced and versatile roster. Many of their players can play multiple positions and roles. They feature  a strong frontcourt led by Josh Adams and Clint Steindl, who can score inside and outside, and a dynamic backcourt with Will Magnay and Sam McDaniel, who can defend and rebound like bosses. There’s also a deep bench with players like Jarrod Kenny, Majok Majok and Fabijan Krslovic, who provide energy and spark when needed.
  • The JackJumpers have the home court advantage. They’re playing in front of their passionate and loyal fans at the MyState Bank Arena. The arena has a capacity of 5,000 and has been sold out for every game so far. The crowd noise and atmosphere can give the JackJumpers an extra boost and make it hard for the Bullets to communicate and execute.
  • The JackJumpers have a favourable matchup against the Bullets, who have been inconsistent and vulnerable on both ends of the floor. The Bullets have been relying too much on their star import Lamar Patterson, who has been carrying the scoring load but also turning the ball over a fair bit. The JackJumpers can use their team defence and pressure to force Patterson into mistakes and limit his impact. The Bullets have also been poor at defending the three-point line, allowing their opponents to shoot 40% from beyond the arc. The JackJumpers can exploit this weakness by moving the ball and finding open shooters like Adams, Steindl and Kenny.

The JackJumpers have a good chance to get up and win their home game against the Bullets. They have more depth, cohesion and confidence than the Bullets, and they have the support of their home crowd. I’m thinking it’ll be a close but comfortable victory for the JackJumpers, with Adams leading the way with 25 points.

Clint Steindl

Who to watch: Clint Steindl

Position: Guard

Jersey #: 11

The sharpshooting guard is one of the key players for the JackJumpers in their current season. He has a wealth of experience in the NBL, having played for Cairns and Perth before joining Tasmania. He is a lethal threat from beyond the arc, averaging 2.4 three-pointers per game at 41.7% accuracy. He can also create his own shot and drive to the basket when needed. He will be a tough matchup for the Bullets’ defence.

Why I think the Bullets will get up

The Brisbane Bullets are coming off a thrilling win over the Sydney Kings, and they have the momentum and confidence coming into this match. The JackJumpers are a relatively new team in the NBL, but are pushing to prove themselves against the established clubs.

  • The Bullets have a balanced and experienced roster, with players like Nathan Sobey, Lamar Patterson and Robert Franks who can score from anywhere on the court.
  • The Bullets have a strong defensive system, led by coach James Duncan, that can limit the JackJumpers’ offensive options and force them into turnovers.
  • The Bullets have the away court disadvantage, but will be looking to prove themselves as a formidable team.

I’m not sold that the Bullets have the edge over the JackJumpers in this game but some bookies disagree with me. Some have the Bullets as the favourites to win. It’ll definitely be a close and exciting game, but ultimately, the Bullets might get up.

Nathan Sobey

Who to watch: Nathan Sobey

Position: Guard

Jersey #: 12

The captain of the Bullets is one of the most explosive players in the NBL. He can score from anywhere on the court. He could be driving to the rim, pulling up for a mid-range jumper, or launching a three-pointer. He averaged 21.7 points per game last season, and he has a history of performing well against the JackJumpers. Expect him to lead his team with energy and passion in this clash.

What do the bookies say?

The bookies are favouring the Tasmania JackJumpers to win the game against the Brisbane Bullets this Sunday. The JackJumpers have a 70% chance of landing a victory, according to the sportsbooks’ Moneyline betting odds. The Bullets are the underdogs, with a 30% chance of winning. Here’s  what the big sites are paying:

  • Bet365: Tasmania JackJumpers $1.42, Brisbane Bullets $2.90
  • Ladbrokes: Tasmania JackJumpers $1.40, Brisbane Bullets $2.95
  • Betfair: Tasmania JackJumpers $1.41, Brisbane Bullets $3.00
  • SportsBet: Tasmania JackJumpers $1.34, Brisbane Bullets $3.06
  • TAB: Tasmania JackJumpers 1.40, $Brisbane Bullets $2.90

The spread is set at 5.5 points, with the JackJumpers expected to cover it in most of the predictions. The total points are set at 174.5, with the under being the more likely outcome. To maximise your winnings it looks like Betfair are the best for the JackJumpers to win, with SportsBet with good odds for the Bullets.

The bottom line

The JackJumpers are coming off a two game losing streak, while the Bullets have won their last two games. The bookies are favouring the JackJumpers as they’ve shown resilience and determination in their debut season, and could pull off an upset at home. The game is expected to be a high-scoring affair, with both teams averaging over 90 points per game. Fans can look forward to an exciting match-up between the JackJumpers’ star guard Josh Adams and the Bullets’ veteran leader Nathan Sobey, who are both among the top scorers in the league.

Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and does not constitute gambling advice. Please gamble responsibly and only bet what you can afford to lose.

John Power
Copyright © 2024. All Rights Reserved. AusBets
65-67 York Street, Sydney, NSW. 2000
AusBets acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the lands. I pay my respects to Elders past, present and emerging and celebrate the diversity of Aboriginal peoples and their ongoing cultures and connections to the lands and waters of NSW. Always was. always will be.
If you decide to apply for a product or service through our website you will be dealing directly with that provider of that product or service and not with AusBets. Any odds quoted are correct at the time of publication and are subject to change. You should confirm any information with the product or service provider before signing up