Last updated on November 22, 2023  

Macarthur FC v Melbourne Victory Friday 24th Nov 2023

The A-League is back with another exciting match this Friday night with 4th placed Macarthur FC facing 2nd placed Melbourne Victory. Melbourne has a chance to hit the top spot while Macarthur are looking to crack the top 3. Who will come out on top in this clash of titans? Let’s take a look at what the bookies have to say and what factors might influence the outcome.

TLDR: Macarthur FC are the favourites to win at Campbelltown Sports Stadium, but Melbourne Victory have a chance to upset them if they play with more intensity and creativity.

Why I think Macarthur will get up

Both teams are in the top four, but Macarthur has a slight edge over their rivals. Here my thoughts on why I think Macarthur will get up:

  • Macarthur has a stronger defence, conceding only 12 goals in 14 games, while Melbourne has let in 18 goals in 15 games.
  • Macarthur has a more balanced attack, with six different players scoring at least two goals this season, while Melbourne relies heavily on their star striker Jamie Maclaren, who has 14 goals but no other player has more than three.
  • Macarthur has a better record against Melbourne, winning two and drawing one of their three previous encounters, scoring seven goals and conceding only three.

Macarthur FC has the upper hand over Melbourne Victory in terms of form, quality and history. I predict that Macarthur will win this game by a narrow margin and consolidate their position in the top four. This will be sure to please the home crowd!

Matt Derbyshire

Who to watch: Matt Derbyshire

Position: Forward

Jersey #: 9

The experienced English striker is the leading scorer for Macarthur FC with 14 goals in 26 games last season. He has a powerful shot and a good aerial ability, making him a threat from crosses and set-pieces. He scored twice against Melbourne Victory in a 3-1 win in March 2022, and he will be keen to repeat his performance in the upcoming clash.

Why I think Melbourne will get up

Melbourne Victory have been in great form lately, winning four of their last five games and scoring 12 goals in the process. They have a strong attack led by Robbie Kruse and Marco Rojas, who have combined for nine goals and six assists this season. They also have a solid defence, conceding only 14 goals in 11 games, the second-lowest in the league.

Melbourne are in with a solid chance to get up:

  • Macarthur FC have been inconsistent, losing three of their last five games and dropping to fourth place in the table.
  • Macarthur FC have struggled to score goals, netting only 13 in 12 games, the lowest among the top six teams.
  • Macarthur FC have a poor record against Melbourne Victory, losing both of their previous meetings this season by a 3-1 scoreline.

Melbourne Victory could have the slight edge over Macarthur FC in terms of form, firepower and history. It could be a 2-0 win for Melbourne

marco rojas

Who to watch: Marco Rojas

Position: Winger

Jersey #: 7

The Kiwi international is one of the most exciting and creative players in the A-League. He has scored 38 goals and provided 28 assists in 124 appearances for Melbourne Victory, making him the club’s all-time leading scorer and assist provider. He has also scored four goals in nine games against Macarthur FC, including a brace in their last meeting. Watch out for his pace, dribbling and vision on the flanks.

What do the bookies say?

The bookies are clearly favouring Melbourne Victory to win the upcoming A-League game against Macarthur FC this Friday night. According to Football Whispers, Melbourne Victory have a 62.0% chance of winning, while Macarthur FC have only a 17.0% chance. The odds of a draw are 21.0%.

Here’s the odds from the big 4 at the time of writing

Bookmaker Melbourne Victory Draw Macarthur FC
Bet365 1.57 4.40 5.30
Ladbrokes 1.62 4.20 5.00
Betfair 1.60 4.30 5.10
Sportsbet 1.58 4.25 5.15

The odds suggest that Melbourne Victory are likely to beat Macarthur FC by two goals or more, as they have done in four of their last five meetings. Macarthur FC have struggled on the road, losing four of their last six away games.

The Bottom Line

Both Macarthur FC and Melbourne Victory have shown impressive performances in the A-League this season, but the bookies seem to favour the former. Macarthur FC are clear favourites according to the latest odds. But as we’ve seen in the past decade, anything can happen in football. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses.

In true soccer form, a draw is also possible, with a 25% probability. If you are looking for a safe bet, you might want to go with Macarthur FC, but if you are feeling adventurous, you could try Melbourne Victory or a draw.

Disclaimer: Remember, online sportsbetting is risky and unpredictable, and you should only gamble what you can afford to lose. Always gamble responsibly and seek help if you have a problem.

John Power
Copyright © 2024. All Rights Reserved. AusBets
65-67 York Street, Sydney, NSW. 2000
AusBets acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the lands. I pay my respects to Elders past, present and emerging and celebrate the diversity of Aboriginal peoples and their ongoing cultures and connections to the lands and waters of NSW. Always was. always will be.
If you decide to apply for a product or service through our website you will be dealing directly with that provider of that product or service and not with AusBets. Any odds quoted are correct at the time of publication and are subject to change. You should confirm any information with the product or service provider before signing up