The Golden Eagle is close to one of the most prestigious races in Australian horse racing featuring a whopping prize pool of over $7.5 million. It is open to four-year-old horses and is run over 1500 metres at Rosehill Gardens in Sydney.
The 2023 edition of the race will take place on Saturday, October 28, and will feature some of the best local and international talent. I’ve been studying the field closely and analysing what factors to consider before placing your bets.
The favourite: Amelia’s Jewel
Gate #: TBC
Amelia’s Jewel is coming in hot for the Golden Eagle this year.
- She has won four out of her last five races, including the Group 1 Epsom Handicap.
- She has a proven record over the 1500m distance, having beaten some of the best horses in the country.
- She has a favourable barrier draw, which will allow her to settle in a good position and avoid traffic.
- She has a strong jockey-trainer combination, with James McDonald and Chris Waller, who have won many big races together.
Amelia’s Jewel is a formidable contender for the 2023 Golden Eagle, and she will hopefully reward her loyal fans with another brilliant performance. If you’re looking for a solid bet, you can’t go wrong with Amelia’s Jewel.
Why I think Hawaii Five Oh could get up
I’m also putting a few bucks on Hawaii Five Oh, a four-year-old gelding with a lot of potential. Here are some of the reasons why I think he will get up:
- He has won four of his last five starts, including a Group 2 race over 1400m at Randwick.
- He has a good barrier draw, starting from gate 6, which gives him a chance to settle in a favourable position.
- He has a proven jockey, Hugh Bowman, who has ridden him in his last three wins and knows how to get the best out of him.
- He has shown that he can handle different track conditions, winning on both good and soft ground.
I believe that Hawaii Five Oh has what it takes to win the Golden Eagle, or at least finish in the top three. He is currently paying $9.00 at Bet365, which I think is great value for a horse of his calibre.
Why I think Legarto is an outside chance
One of the horses that I think has a good chance of upsetting the favourites in the 2023 Golden Eagle is Legarto. Here are some reasons why:
- Legarto has won four of his last five races, including a Group 2 victory over 1400m at Randwick.
- Legarto has a proven record at Rosehill, where he finished second in the 2022 Golden Rose behind the champion Rothfire.
- Legarto has a favourable barrier draw of 6, which will allow him to settle in a good position and avoid traffic.
- Legarto is trained by Chris Waller, who has won the Golden Eagle twice before with Kolding and Funstar.
I think Legarto is a great value bet at $21 and I will be backing him each way in the 2023 Golden Eagle.
Who do the major betting sites have as favourite?
Let’s see what the bookies are saying…
|Hawaii Five Oh||$2.50||$2.75||$2.60||$2.75|
Legarto is the clear favourite across all four sites, followed by Hawaii Five Oh and Amelia’s Jewel. Legarto is a proven performer at this distance, having won the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas last year. Hawaii Five Oh is a rising star who impressed in the Group 2 Hobartville Stakes earlier this year. Amelia’s Jewel is a classy mare who won the Group 1 Surround Stakes in February.
I still reckon Amelia’s Jewel will get up, but anything can happen on the day and there are plenty of other horses on the field. If you’re looking for something different, you might want to consider Kovalica, who is paying around $7 on all four sites.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you could perhaps consider a trifecta, with the three horses above. You never know what could happen!
The Bottom Line
I have my tips and the bookies have their clear favourites, but the race is unpredictable and anything can happen. My picks have shown impressive form and speed in their previous races. But these horses are not guaranteed winners, and you should always bet responsibly.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure you gamble responsibly and have fun watching the race itself. The Golden Eagle is sure to be a thrilling spectacle that will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Disclaimer: Online sports betting is a risky activity that can lead to addiction and financial losses, so please gamble responsibly and only bet what you can afford to lose.