The A League is back in action this weekend with Sydney FC facing Perth Glory. Both teams have struggled this season. Sydney FC have a solid defence and a lethal attack, while Perth Glory rely on their creativity and flair. Let’s see what should you expect and what the bookies think.
The game is expected to be a tight one with both teams looking to prove themselves after a few rounds of dismal results. The bookies are favouring Sydney FC with a slight edge over Perth Glory, with average odds of 2.10 to 2.80.
Perth Glory has been in good form lately, winning four of their last five games with Sydney FC struggling with injuries and suspensions. The game could come down to extra time, where the fitness and stamina of the players will be tested. Both teams have scored and conceded goals in extra time this season, so it will be a matter of who can hold their nerve and take their chances when they come.
Why I think Sydney could win
Sydney FC is one of the most successful teams in the A League history, having won five championships and four premierships. They have a strong squad, a proven coach and a loyal fan base. They are currently tenth in the table, only one point behind Melbourne City, and have a game in hand.
- Sydney has a balanced attack, with four players scoring more goals this season: Adam Le Fondre, Bobo, Kosta Barbarouses and Milos Ninkovic.
- They have a solid defence, with Andrew Redmayne in goal and experienced defenders like Alex Wilkinson, Ryan McGowan and Joel King.
- They have a winning mentality, having won the last two championships and three of the last four. They know how to handle pressure and big occasions.
- They have a home advantage, playing at Allianz Stadium, where they have won six of their last eight matches.
Sydney are in with a good chance of winning the match. Perth are struggling in the bottom half of the table and lost a bunch of matches. They’ve scored only 6 goals and conceded 8. I hope Sydney will continue their winning streak and close the gap with Melbourne City at the top of the table.
Who to watch: Bobo
Jersey #: 9
The Brazilian veteran is back for his third stint with Sydney FC, and he has already shown his quality with a brace against Macarthur FC. He is the all-time leading scorer for the Sky Blues, with 52 goals in 71 games, and he has a strong partnership with La Fondre up front. He is a powerful and composed finisher, who can also create chances for his teammates. He will be a handful for the Perth Glory defence on Saturday.
Why I think Perth could win
Perth Glory is definitely not a team to be underestimated. They have shown resilience and determination in their previous matches. Plus, they have some of the best players in the league. Here’s why I think Perth could win against Sydney FC:
- Perth has a strong defence, led by captain Diego Castro and goalkeeper Liam Reddy. They have conceded only 12 goals in 14 games, the second-lowest in the league.
- Perth has a balanced attack, with Bruno Fornaroli, Andy Keogh and Chris Ikonomidis scoring 18 goals among them. They can create chances from different angles and exploit Sydney’s weaknesses.
- Perth has a psychological edge over Sydney, having beaten them twice in the regular season. They also have a good record at Sydney’s home ground, winning four of their last six visits.
Perth Glory is a formidable opponent for Sydney FC and have a clear potential to cause an upset. They’ve proven their quality and consistency throughout the season and won’t give up easily. Perth could edge it by a narrow margin.
Who to watch: Adam Taggart
Jersey #: 22
The Australian international is one of the most prolific scorers in the A-League, with 700k € market value. He won the Golden Boot award in 2013/14 and 2018/19 seasons, scoring 16 and 11 goals respectively. He returned to Perth Glory in 2023 after a stint in Japan and Korea, and he has already netted four goals in six games this season. He is a threat to any defence with his pace, positioning and finishing ability.
What do the bookies say?
The bookies are favouring Sydney FC over Perth Glory. Here the odds at the time of writing:
According to these odds, Sydney FC have a 56% to 62% chance of winning the match, while Perth Glory have a 20% to 23% chance. A draw is considered less likely, with a 24% to 25% chance.
The Bottom Line
Sydney FC and Perth Glory are both strong contenders for the A League title, but they have different strengths and weaknesses. Sydney FC has a more balanced squad, a better defensive record and a home advantage. Perth Glory has a more explosive attack, a higher scoring rate and a recent winning streak. The bookies favour Sydney FC, but the odds are not very high. A draw is also a possible outcome, as both teams are evenly matched.
If you are looking for a safe bet, you might want to go with Sydney FC or a draw. However, if you are feeling adventurous, you might want to take a chance on Perth Glory, as they have the potential to surprise.
Disclaimer: online sportsbetting is risky and unpredictable, and you should only gamble what you can afford to lose. Do not rely on this article or any other source as a guarantee of success. Always do your own research and make your own informed decisions.
- NRL Las Vegas: Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs Betting Tips - February 20, 2024
- Australia v West Indies ODI 2024 Game 1 - January 29, 2024
- NZ Breakers vs Tasmania JackJumpers Betting Tips – 26th January 2024 - January 20, 2024