The 2023 Cricket World Cup is, for want of a better phrase, in full swing. One of the most anticipated matches is the clash between Australia and Bangladesh on 11 November in Pune. Mostly because of the big hitting from Maxwell.
It’s my wife’s birthday on Saturday, so unfortunately I won’t be able to watch. That is unless she goes hard on the G&T’s beforehand, and I can sneak in a few overs after she passes out!
Both teams have had contrasting fortunes in the tournament so far, with Australia bouncing back from a poor start to secure a semi-final spot, while Bangladesh have struggled to find form and consistency.
TLDR: Australia are the clear favourites to win against Bangladesh, based on their recent form, batting depth, and bowling firepower. Bangladesh will need to overcome their injury woes, batting collapses, and lack of experience to pull off an upset.
Why I think the Aussies will get up
Both teams have shown great form and skill in their previous games, but the Aussies have a clear edge over their opponents. They’ve got the psychological advantage coming into this match.- They have a balanced and experienced squad. They feature heavily with players who can perform well in different conditions and roles.
- They have a strong batting line-up. We’ve got explosive hitters like David Warner, Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis. They can all score big runs and put pressure on the opposition bowlers. This is only if the conditions are right.
- The Aussie’s have a versatile bowling attack. They feature pace, spin and swing options. Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Adam Zampa are among some of the best bowlers in the world who can exploit any weakness in the Bangladesh batting order.
- They have a winning mentality and a history of success in World Cup tournaments. They have won five out of the 12 editions of the World Cup, and they know how to handle pressure and expectations.
The Aussies have a clear chance to get up in this game against Bangladesh. There’s more quality, depth and experience in their team. They’re also motivated to win their sixth World Cup title, and despite some hiccups, won’t take any game lightly. Bangladesh is a formidable opponent, but I don’t think they have enough firepower to match the Aussies.
Who to watch: David Warner
Jersey #: 31
The explosive left-hander is one of the most feared batsmen in world cricket. He has scored over 5000 runs in ODIs, including 18 centuries and 24 fifties. He was the leading run-scorer in the 2019 World Cup, with 647 runs at an average of 71.88. He’s struggled to find form in this World Cup but he’s due for a 100! He has a special liking for Bangladesh, having scored two hundreds against them in the past.
Why Bangladesh are in with a chance
Bangladesh may not be the favourites to win the upcoming World Cup Cricket game against Australia, but they are not without hope. The Tigers could pull off an upset victory over the Aussies.
- Bangladesh has a strong batting line-up. It’s led by Tamim Iqbal and Mushfiqur Rahim, who have scored over 7000 and 6000 ODI runs respectively. They also have some explosive hitters like Mahmudullah, Liton Das and Afif Hossain, who can take the game away from any bowling attack.
- Bangladesh has a balanced bowling attack. Therés a great mix of pace and spin. Mustafizur Rahman is one of the best death bowlers in the world, while Shakib Al Hasan is a world-class all-rounder who can trouble any batsman with his left-arm spin. They also have some promising young bowlers like Mehidy Hasan Miraz, Mohammad Saifuddin and Shoriful Islam, who can provide breakthroughs at crucial moments.
- Bangladesh has a history of upsetting big teams in ICC tournaments. They have beaten India, Pakistan and South Africa in previous World Cups, and also defeated Australia in a bilateral series in 2005. They have the confidence and the experience to handle pressure situations and perform on the big stage.
- Australia could choke. The Aussies have a history of collapsing and relying on clutch players. If those clutch players also choke, the Aussies could be done for.
Bangladesh may be the underdogs, but they are not to be underestimated. They have the talent, the passion and the spirit to challenge Australia and give them a tough fight. If they can play to their potential and execute any plans, they can create history and stun the cricket world.
Who to watch: Shakib Al Hasan
Jersey #: 75
The captain and the star of the Bangladesh team, Shakib Al Hasan is a world-class player who can dominate with both bat and ball. He is the only player in history to score 1000 runs and take 30 wickets in a single World Cup edition, which he achieved in 2019. He is also the leading run-scorer and wicket-taker for Bangladesh in ODIs. He has a brilliant record against Australia, averaging 56.33 with the bat and 29.76 with the ball in 21 matches. He will be the key player for Bangladesh in their impossible mission to upset the defending champions.
What do the bookies say?
This 11 November 2023 all eyes will be on the Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium in Pune. This will be the 43rd match of the ICC CWC, 2023. with Australia is the clear favourite to win this match. Let’s look at the odds around the internet.
As you can see, Australia has much lower odds than Bangladesh, which means that the bookies expect them to win easily. The lowest odds for Australia are from TAB, which offers 1.10 for every dollar bet on them. The highest odds for Bangladesh are from TAB as well, which offers 7.50 for every dollar bet on them.
My tip for this match is to bet on Australia to win, clearly. They have a strong batting and a potent bowling attack. I’m probably not going to put any money down, as the Aussies are clear favourites, and I need to save my pennies for the evenings birthday celebrations.
The Bottom Line
I can’t wait to watch the game between Australia and Bangladesh. Hopefully Maxwell explodes again and makes it worthwhile staying up till 3am! If we look at what the bookies are saying, Australia has a clear edge over Bangladesh. With such low odds, I’m not sure I’ll be putting any money down but cheering the Aussies on from my lounge.
Remember: Only bet what you can afford to lose! Online sportsbetting is a risky activity that can have severe financial consequences, so please be careful and responsible. Remember, the game is meant to be enjoyed, not exploited. What could you be spending this money on instead?
- NRL Las Vegas: Sea Eagles v Rabbitohs Betting Tips - February 20, 2024
- Australia v West Indies ODI 2024 Game 1 - January 29, 2024
- NZ Breakers vs Tasmania JackJumpers Betting Tips – 26th January 2024 - January 20, 2024